The Financial Wisdom Forum is our sister site where Canadian investors meet for financial education and empowerment.
The focus is on personal finance and investing, from starting out to retirement, savings, GICs, TFSAs, RRSPs, RRIFs, RESPs, RDSPs, taxes, stocks, bonds, preferred shares, indexing, ETFs and much more.
The site is independent and non-commercial. The FWF does not accept money or other benefits from providers of investment products or advice. Nor does it allow advertising of any kind on the site. The site is run by volunteers, with the help of donations from the members.
We do not recommend specific products or services, nor are we registered financial advisers or planners. We do have a lot of collective wisdom to share. Ultimately, however, many financial questions do not have a right or wrong answer, but rather a range of options. While we can provide information, you must weigh the pros and cons in light of your specific situation.
The Financial Wisdom Forum had its roots in an online discussion forum run by the Fund Library. In 1999, Jon Chevreau, then a columnist at the Financial Post, started a new forum called The Wealthy Boomer (TWB). When TWB folded, four forum members registered a domain name, built a website and the FWF forum. The forum was unveiled on February 18, 2005. Key moments in the history of FWF are listed below.
- February 18, 2005, FWF goes live using phpBB v2.0.11
- February 22, 2005, ig17, FWF’s 100th member joins (and he’s still posting today!)
- November 22, 2005, 600 financial threads with 7,000 posts are imported from TWB
- April 21, 2007, the 100,000th post is made
- March 14, 2008, Bylo Selhi is the first member to make 10,000 posts
- February 14, 2009, finiki, the Canadian financial wiki goes live
- March 2009, FWF takes over the archive of gummy-stuff
- November 26, 2009, FWF moves to phpBB v3
- November 23, 2011, a phpBB themed homepage is unveiled and we refresh our logos to incorporate the maple leaf
- October 10, 2012, add support for mobile devices via the Artodia:Mobile style
- January 19, 2014, relaunch FWF as the Financial Wisdom Forum with a brand new homepage
Finiki is a knowledge base of financial subjects for Canadian investors. It is a collaborative work that pulls together the nuggets of information that have been built up in the discussion forum (and elsewhere), but in a much easier format to…
The discussion forum is where FWF members carry on discussions about everything related to Canadian financial matters. Individual investors can pose questions about financial matters of all kinds, help answer others’ questions, and provide information that might be of interest…